You have seen how easy it is to install WordPress using Fantastico via Cpanel, but unfortunately not every web host has Cpanel. Some hosts that DO have Cpanel, do not have Fantastico. So how exactly do you install WordPress if this is the case? Do not worry read on and I will show you how.
1. First you need to head on over to WordPress.org, and download the latest version of WordPress.
Once you have downloaded it, unzip the files to your desktop.
2. Next you need to login to your hosting account, and make a new database. You also need to create a new user and connect it to that database. Don’t forget to grab a pen a paper to jot down your database name, username and password(you will see why in a bit).
3. In this next step you need to open up the WordPress files you downloaded and unzipped earlier. Look for the file that is named “wp-config-sample.php”, and just rename it to “wp-config.php”. Remember I told you to write down your database details earlier? Well, now you need to use them. Open up “wp-config.php”, and enter in those details like so:
// ** MySQL settings – You can get this info from your web host ** // /** The name of the database for WordPress */ define(’DB_NAME’, ‘putyourdbnamehere’); Enter your database name here /** MySQL database username */ define(’DB_USER’, ‘usernamehere’); Enter your database username her e /** MySQL database password */ define(’DB_PASSWORD’, ‘yourpasswordhere’); Enter your database password here /** MySQL hostname */ define(’DB_HOST’, ‘localhost’);
Then you need to make sure you save that file.
4. Next you need to upload all of your WordPress files you unzipped earlier, including the “wp-config.php” one to your webhost using your favorite ftp software. I like to use “Core FTP” to do this, it’s free and it does the job well.
5. Once all the files have finished uploading you have to run the installation process. You do this by opening up your favorite browser and typing into the address bar your domain followed by :
For example if your domain was “dogtraining.com”. Then you would type in the address bar :
Enter your details into the boxes provided, and make sure you check the box that says” Allow my blog to appear in search engines like Google and Technorati”. Click on the button that says “install WordPress”, and hey presto you’re done.